Thursday, January 26, 2012

Doctor, doctor give me the news....

So I met with my radiation oncologist on Tuesday afternoon. I had met him one time right after my surgery, but don't really remember much of what he said other than radiation will follow chemo for 33 treatments. He again echoed the same, but filled me in a bit more on the process. Next Monday I will go in for SIM scan for the doctor to locate exactly where they will be giving my radiation. I will also be tattooed, but I'm not sure if that will happen Monday or right before I start radiation. I should be able to start a week from my scan so that would put my start date Feb. 6th, however Dr. Doctor isn't as anxious as I to get started so I may have to wait another day or so to begin. (Side note: Dr. Doctor isn't actually my radiation oncologist name, but a little joke we have because my Dr. has his MD and his PHD, he is very smart)

We have been so blessed with help thus far for the kids, and while we haven't had any lack of offers radiation makes things a little tricky being that its every day . So the plan for now is for me to get up and go very early every morning that is possible. Nate gets the kids on the bus usually so nothing will change there, but my hope is that he can get Max off to school on M,W, & F, and that I will be back in time to pick him up at 11:15. On Tuesday and Thursdays as his work schedule allows Nate will stay at home until I am back around 9:00-9:30 each morning or take Max to our wonderful babysitter Lisa who has been helping out through chemo, and she will watch him until I get home. Right now 1 week off of chemo I have a lot of ambition and more energy then I've had in months. Although I'm still not up to par, the difference is there. I've been told by my NP that I will feel the effects of radiation through fatigue. Also, while the actual treatment is not painful  the side effects will be far more so then chemo with the burning of my skin and sore throat, enough to which I've been told I will probably only want to eat soft foods once it begins. So I hope that I can endure this all well and get through each day as upbeat, and energetic as possible. I'm so ready for this all to be over, and begin a normal life once again.

On an unrelated note: We've only had one showing for our house so far, and while a bit discouraging I am still very excited at the thought of getting back to Goshen, family & friends. It has given me something to plan and look forward to as well as concentrate on beside cancer and treatments.

1 comment:

Caroline Shank said...

You ROCK Heather. We love you