Friday, March 23, 2012

Radiation Week 6

Monday Mar. 19th - It's official! I'm done with regular radiation treatments today! Tomorrow I start my 5 treatment boost. 1 giant step more headed in the right direction. Almost there! Had breakfast with my friend Tera from high school she has been battling ovarian cancer since 1996 when we were juniors. It returned in 2004 for her after surgery in 96 and she struggles with it every day. So glad I got to see her.

Tuesday Mar. 20th - today was my first boost treatment. It took a while and my body it turned in such a way that its a bit uncomfortable but the actual treatment only last about 2 minutes. There were 4-5 people in the room today making sure everything is set up correctly. I feel like as they talk over me about what to move, where to move it, and all their numbers I'm in the OR and should be sleeping.

Wednesday Mar. 21st - same as yesterday with less people in the room, the set up time took about the same amount of time. Got to have breakfast with my Grandma and Bob & Jo stopped in to say hello before my appt. Also took Max to Kindergarten round up when I got home. Next year no more kiddos at home during the day.

Thursday Mar. 22nd - It was a long day I had a double treatment today so I can finish off this week and be done. one treatment at 7:40 and one at 2:30 there has to be at least 6 hours in between. I spent the day hanging out in Goshen visiting as many people as I could fit in my schedule it was nice to see them all. I came home feeling very tired today, but its Max's 5th birthday so of course we had to celebrate!

Friday Mar. 23rd - Its a very bittersweet emotional day so far. I finished my radiation!!! I'm so glad to be moving on from this, but a little anxious about not being near my doctors, nurses, and therapist regularly. This journey has been long. It was one that I wouldn't have chosen, but one that I was chosen for at first I didn't want to accept it, but once I did I was shown so many blessings God has brought to me through this. Saying that I am finished seems a little wrong, because I feel as if things are just beginning. This has forever changed my life and those around me I can only pray that things will never be the same, but so much better!

Thank you, thank you to everyone who has walked this with me. You will never truly know how much you are appreciated there are not enough words on this earth to express how grateful I am for each and every one of you.

2 comments:

Mary Adams said...

Heather,

You are a strong woman. I just completed my last chemo treatment yesterday and I could think about is how thankful I am that I do not have to have radiation. I know that it is very painful. And oh my having to drive an hour on top of that. God is good and keeps us in the palm of our hands. Congratulations on completing this journey.

Mary Adams

Trisha Martin said...

YIPPEEE!!!!! One more BIG step in this long process complete! Now praying for you continued healing and that many blessings be bestowed on your family. Lots of thoughts and prayers will continue to come your way. Love you girl!

Trisha