Thursday, August 11, 2011

The doctor is in...

Got a call from my surgeon's assistant today. She said that the surgeon and pathologist both agreed they were comfortable with what had been done, and they don't think another surgery is necessary. Great words to hear, "no more surgery", but the emotions are a little different knowing that the dirty little cancer is still inside me. They are pretty confident that with chemo and radiation that microscopic piece of no good cancer will die a painful death, but as the oncologist said it would give us a little more peace of mind to know there was none there to start.
So next up.. PET scan, ECHO scan, chemo education, meeting with mind and body counselor, and dietitian, and finally about 1-1/2 to 2 weeks before chemo I will get a port inserted near the collar bone under my skin for chemo and blood draws to be easier. Then in about 4 weeks chemo begins.
Right now I'm ready for the fight, I want to get this started and kick some cancer butt, however, I know that once I'm in it, things will get a harder and I probably won't feel exactly like I do now, but I wanted to state for the record so I could be reminded when that time comes!
So today I am grateful for a ready-to-fight attitude, and no surgery. Tomorrow is another day and I will face it when I get there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like this is a WIN! A victory! A celebration! Let's celebrate over ice cream Monday, whaddya say?

Rachel said...

I feel like this is a WIN! A victory! A celebration! Let's celebrate over ice cream Monday, whaddya say?

Caroline Shank said...

You are definitely a winner!!! "fight like a Girl!" Hooray for Heather

Larry Shank said...

It is very good to see you post today. It had been several days and all us Shanks up in Elkhart were getting worried. Struggling on how to let you know that we are all praying for you, are concerned about you and your family, but don't want to pepper you with constant phone calls.

You are right that it is not fun and it will not be easy, but know that you will get through it.

LJS