Monday, August 1, 2011

And I survived

When I was younger in the front seat I stood
looking through the glass peering over the hood
no child restraint or safety seat I wanted to stand
happy and free.
And I survived

A little bit older not much wiser in years
I swam at the city pool
not with Mom just my peers
And I survived

We'd play out all day from morning to night
drank from the hose and riding our bikes
no helmet no water bottles we didn't need much
just the sidewalk, our friends some dirt and dust
And I survived

As I grew more things I thought that I knew
I wanted to go tell that girl a thing or two
I didn't look both ways on that one way street
In the blink of an eye that car swept me off my feet
And I survived

Heartaches and Heartbreaks soon came to pass
Each time feeling something like shattered glass
And I survived

Then he came along and swept me off my feet
a house and a baby we were almost complete
then came 2, 3 and #4
all with little pain meds, but nothing more
And I survived

Our days were longer and the nights not so much
but life was a blessing we have been blessed with so much
Then on that hot afternoon in July
the words I couldn't imagine were floating right by

The Doctor said no worries we've got great care
but most likely you, in time, will lose your hair
not to mention your breast, and I couldn't stand up
I leaned over to cry on his strong chest

This journey has only begun
such a long road to travel
but prayers to the great One
by his believers have unraveled
He holds me now as I can't stand on my own
and my family in Him stands strong in my home.

The story has not ended, no not everything has been said.
I want it to finish with three words you have read


11 comments:

Kendra said...

Your words are wonderful Heather. Looks for God's blessings every day ~ they are there.

I'm glad you are sharing your journey, it will be something you can look back on and see how far you've come. I have several entries on my blog about my journey as well over the last 5+ years. I want to share them with you, but only when you are ready.

Smile today, it will help!
Kendra

Caroline Shank said...

Reading these last two entries has left me breathless. I thank God for you. Keep writing.

denise said...

praying and thankful for your written words. encouraged by your grace in this trial! :)

Jodi Russey said...

beautifully written <3

Monica R. said...

So poetic...it's truly inspirational and encouraging me in my faith. Continuing to keep you all in our prayers. Glad you have 5 smiling faces to see everyday!!

The Zagorski's said...

Beautiful Heather! Keep up the blogging and poetry writing when possible, it will be a great outlet for you =)

Love ya!
Laurie

Tiffany Arnett said...

Your words are so amazing....you are such an inspiration to me as a woman and mother...

Anonymous said...

Heather, your authenticity and sweet spirit are so refreshing, even amidst your difficult days. Thanks for capturing the story of this new reality for those of us who are a distance away and praying. Your words and honesty help us know how to pray more specifically for you and your family. May God continue to place the right people, at the right times, in your path as you find your way. Isaiah 42:16 is a great reminder of how the Lord can lead us through uncertain times. I'm claiming this for you today. Trusting in the One Who will not forsake you! -Scott T.

Momoflaj3 said...

Oh, Heather. You ARE an inspiration! I don't know that I would have the strength that you do. We are praying and will continue to pray for you and your precious family. Thank you for continuing to share this experience with us. XOXO <3

Momoflaj3 said...

Oh, Heather. You ARE an inspiration! I don't know that I would have the strength that you do. We are praying and will continue to pray for you and your precious family. Thank you for continuing to share this experience with us. XOXO <3

ko said...

What a strong person! Bless you Heather!!!